Common Medications and Side Effects, Nutrition and Food Safety, and Renal Diets in Long Term Care Facilities
- Nutrition and Food Safety for Food Service Staff (1.75 Hour)
Renal Diets in Long-Term Care Facilities (1 Hour)
Common Medications and Side Effects for Assisted Living Residents (0.75 Hour)
Credit Hours: 4
This course is designed for long-term care staff that have food-handling responsibilities.
- Become knowledgeable with thawing, safe cooking, cooling, handling, holding, storing, safe food service, cleaning, sanitation, and insect/vermin control.
- Understand what are Renal and medical conditions that require renal diets.
- The role of nutrition in managing conditions, Nutritional parameters, and Foods allowed or excluded.
- Explore the concepts of polypharmacy, the prescribing cascade, and deprescribing Introduce the Beers Criteria.
- Know the principles of medication use in the elderly.
- Identify potentially inappropriate medications for older adults.