Communicating with the Cognitively Impaired, Cultural Competence and Fall Risks for Long Term Care
- Communicating with the Cognitively Impaired (1 Hour)
- Cultural Competence (1 Hour)
- Fall Risks for Long Term Care (1 Hour)
Credit Hours: 3.5
- The learner will be able to list some conditions that may have cognitive impairment.
- Describe the communication challenges of the cognitively impaired.
- List three different types of communication. Identify 3 barriers to effective communication.
- Describe ways of improving communication with cognitively impaired individuals in the workplace setting.
- Understand what diversity means and diversity in the context of the Long-Term Care environment.
- Assist everyone living and working in Long Term Care in learning to accept and embrace the diversity of one another through the development of cultural competence.
- Identify benefits of cultural competence for residents, staff, families, and facilities.
- Understand the facts of falls in long-term care and the consequences of falls for residents.
- Assess residents for fall risks, maintain compliance, and develop fall response procedures.
- Develop fall prevention and planning policies and implement a fall intervention.